Artraker Biennial Awards 2017
CONFLICT AREA / COUNTRY OF REFERENCE: ITALY / EU
Franca Formenti uses various sources of expression, including photography, videos, image editing and virtual art on the worldwide web,
and has been, for a number of years, active in visual and social art in public spaces and online, throwing light on the more intriguing, even disturbing or socially relevant aspects of human behaviour.
Zona Franca is the continuation of a project which began in 2007 called FOODPOWER about the concept of food accessibility with a performance where all visitors were asked to arrive on an empty stomach. Each visitor received a stamp ontheir hand atthe entrance: 20% had a green stamp, 80% had a red stamp. Only the green 20% could access the table full offood and if they understood the mechanism, they could also distribute the food to the other 80%. Very few people understood the mechanism to share food, thus creating a frustrating and anxious situation.
In the years following FOODPOWER I've focused on ancient seeds that aren't registered in the official European seed catalogue, and so cannot be bought or sold, and so the products made with these also cannot be bought orsold. They may only be collected or traded. decided to transform the abstract FOODPOWER project into a Limited Business and open a take away, trying to break across the threshold of economics and burocracy and permits, haacp and a financial investment, to have the possibility to cook and sell food that i mainly produced with foods cultivated from ancient seeds, therefore creating a sort of illegal food".
© Artraker CIC 2017
Franca Formenti was born in 1963 in Verona in Italy and is now living in Varese. In 2007 Franca Formenti turned her interest to the world of food, paying particular attention to the various forms of gratification, to the force and power of the concept of nourishment which conditions the behaviour and habits of the public in general, in an attempt to exploit the appeal of food in order to persuade people to reflect upon the actual crisis of identity sometimes observed in contemporary society. Franca Formenti has taken part in European and International exhibitions and conferences; The Architectural Biennial of Venice for DomasLab Food (2008), The Transmedial in Berlin (2008), celebrating the centenary of Marshall McLuhan (2012), The Umami Food & Art Festival and at Kreemart in New York. Franca Formenti has working relationships with Derrick de Kerckhove, Massimo Canevacci, Antonio Caronia, Luisa Valeriani and Tatiana Bazzichelli. In 2012 Franca Formenti was commissioned by the Italian association of Jeunes Restarateur Europe, to produce videos and take photographs of the top 8